Town of Garner Update Regarding COVID-19
In accordance with Gov. Roy Cooper’s recommendation concerning the response to the COVID-19 outbreak, the Town of Garner is cancelling or modifying numerous Town events and programs effective Saturday, March 14, at least through Wednesday, April 15. We take these steps because, as always, maintaining the health and well-being of our residents is our top priority.
The Town strongly encourages local businesses, houses of worship and other organizations to also follow the governor’s recommendations.
Here is a summary of the Town’s cancellations and modifications:
- All Town events that will attract 100 people or more will be cancelled, including Eggstravaganza, April Foods Day Food Truck Rodeo, and all performances at the Garner Performing Arts Center (GPAC).
- All programming at the Senior Center will be cancelled and the Meals on Wheels program will shift to a grab and go format beginning Tuesday, March 17.
- All adult, youth and preschool athletic leagues, open gym and youth programs will be postponed and re-evaluated after April 15.
Anyone with questions about Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources events and programming, including refunds, can call 919-773-4442.
The Town will continue to monitor the situation and may make adjustments to its cancellations and modifications as conditions warrant. For updates and additional information, please visit https://www.garnernc.gov/about-us/covid-19-information
Here is a listing of events, programs and meetings that are continuing as scheduled (as of now):
- After-school programs will continue as long as Wake County Public Schools remain in session.
- Facility and shelter rentals with fewer than 100 people will continue as scheduled, though organizers can cancel for a full refund.
- Lake Benson Boathouse will open this weekend per the regular schedule.
- Town Council and Planning Commission meetings will be held as scheduled.
In order to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our community, the Town is asking visitors to Town facilities to observe the following practices:
- When a service can be handled over the phone or online, please use one of these options. Information about these options can be found at https://www.garnernc.gov/about-us/covid-19-information
- Limit your visits to Town facilities as much as possible. Customer service staff may be reduced, so your wait times may be longer.
- Maintain the "social distancing" practice recommended by CDC of keeping approximately six feet from others when possible.
- Before participating in programs or onsite meetings at our facilities, please take a moment to wash your hands.
For more extensive public-health information, please visit Wake County’s COVID-19 webpage—http://www.wakegov.com/covid19/Pages/default.aspx. In North Carolina, counties—not municipalities—have the training, expertise and responsibility for public-health services.
Thank you. Stay safe and well.